The IT industry is continuously evolving with innovations and advancements in technology. These innovations have helped people to simplify their tasks, accelerate business growth, and even speed up the development process for the developers.
One such thing that has brought a revolution in the IT industry is DevOps. Development companies and developers are rapidly adopting this practice to simplify the development process and to develop cost-effective solutions for businesses eliminating deployment failures.
Since DevOps highly encourages a better way of software development with high velocity, it is essential to know this emerging technology.
So, let us start with an overview of DevOps along with its benefits and other important aspects.
What is DevOps?
DevOps, short for software development (Dev) and IT operations (Ops), is a set of practices that shortens and improves the software development lifecycle and delivers high-quality software. This practice works with traditional software development practices and acts as a bridge between speed, efficiency, and quality, which in turn boosts productivity and improves work efficiency.
This practice is primarily determined by its key principles like workflow, automation, and rapid feedback.
Currently, DevOps is a successful combination of specific practices, culture change, and tools. It highly emphasizes customer satisfaction and faster delivery with quality products, which makes it breaks the barriers of communication and collaboration between development and IT operations teams, making them collectively a DevOps team.
Additionally, DevOps has three different methods that help in improving the speed of development and deployment of software, whereas the popular methodologies include Scrum, Kanban, and Agile.
Popular industry giants like Amazon, Etsy, Netflix, and Adobe use DevOps practices in their software to accelerate business growth. And also some of the best DevOps tools that you can use to streamline the development process include Jenkins, Ansible, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, Zabbix, Rancher, ELK Stack, Nagios Core, and many more. These tools help you in various DevOps lifecycle stages and help in automating the multiple stages of the software development and delivery workflow.
What are the benefits of DevOps?
DevOps has brought exceptional changes in the IT industry and has provided several benefits both for the business and also in terms of the technical aspects, resulting in business growth.
The benefits of DevOps are -
- The primary benefit of DevOps includes better team collaboration, which in turn helps in collaboration between the developers and software engineers to work together for a common software development project.
- Another benefit of DevOps is that it automates the development process, which results in increased productivity and faster delivery of the software.
- It also captures user feedback frequently, which helps in improving the quality of the overall software.
- It also automates the monitoring and testing of code helping in early error detection in the code, to improve the quality of the build.
- It helps in improving the productivity of the development team and also stabilizes the workflow, and operating environment.
- Additionally, it also helps in transparent communication among the team members.
- It also helps in providing quicker resolution to an issue and also reduces the complexity.
- It helps in better resource utilization, reduces the cost of testing with the use of automated tools, and also promotes agility in business.
Disadvantages of DevOps
DevOps has numerous advantages to cater to both business and software engineers, but sometimes implementing DevOps can be challenging. The primary reason is the requirement for cultural changes in an organization.
The drawbacks of DevOps are -
- DevOps requires specific tools and technologies, and investing in those tools and training the developers to acquire a new skillset sometimes can be economically inconvenient and can be an obstacle for development companies.
- It requires time during the initial phase to plan how the work is to be done.
- It can also be difficult to integrate DevOps into an existing environment sometimes, without facing any security and performance issues on the product.
- It lacks industry-wide standardization leading to confusion among the team members on how to use the DevOps technique.
The above-mentioned are just a few of the disadvantages of DevOps and there are many more that can not be ignored. But these drawbacks can be eliminated with proper and strong communication among the team members if you want to develop full-fledged software for a business and also boost productivity and accelerate the growth of a business.
How to Hire DevOps Engineers
The key to successfully implementing DevOps into a project is hiring the right DevOps team and development company to ensure the right use of resources and develop high-quality products.
Now that we have a clear understanding of DevOps and its positive and negative aspects you should also know how to hire DevOps Engineers.
The steps to hiring a DevOps engineer are -
- First, gather your business requirements to get a clear view of what things you want in your project. This can be done by conducting surveys, research, and understanding market trends and consumer demands.
- Next, decide on a budget, prepare the features list, and decide all the important aspects to develop a full-fledged software.
- Now, search for the right candidate on platforms like G2, GoodFirms, LinkedIn, and many more with suitable experience in DevOps.
- In the next step, check for the experience and expertise along with all the necessary skillsets required in a DevOps engineer.
- Shortlist and conduct interviews and find the right candidate that meets all the criteria required for your project.
- Once you find the right candidate, sign an NDA with all the necessary terms and conditions, along with the deliverables, SRS, and other important aspects of the project.
- Now after the NDA is signed you can start with the development of the project and deliver top-quality applications for your business.
The above-mentioned are just the basic steps of hiring a DevOps Engineer, rest make sure that you find the right candidate and share your requirements with them so that the developers and DevOps engineers can collectively work as a team, on your project accordingly to deliver the best results.
DevOps is a powerful tool and offers countless benefits for the developer, the development company, and the business for whom the software is being developed. If you have a project idea in mind or you are thinking of implementing DevOps into your software, you should carefully consider all the benefits of DevOps and its disadvantages as well so that you can know whether implementing DevOps into your business is the right fit or not.
Further, you can also consult with the development team on your project so that they can help you with experience and expertise on the same.